I was lost for a moment
In the ache of old goodbyes
Sometimes all that we can know is
There's no such thing as no regrets
-Mary Chapin Carpenter
Before I fell asleep last night I did what I sometimes do. I imagined ice skating. Circling the rink fast picking up speed and then throwing myself into the air to complete a double axel. It's something I wish I had attempted before the years the pounds the bad knees. I dreamt of skating too. It's so hot I want to be served over ice, on the ice, cool as a cucumber.
I dreamt of her too. She who I think sometimes that I still love. She was at a desk. At an apartment up the stairs. Looking officious and not very nice. I was working and she saw me and I think she wanted me gone not on the same side. But I kept on working picking up forms that were scattered all over various steps. Glancing over to where she was. Wanting to catch her smiling. I didn't. She wasn't. When I woke up ...
now when I woke up it wasn't morning. It was hipster John two floors down having another party. Hmmm. Disregard. Breathe in and out. this is a very nice zen strategy that worked two days ago but now there's more people crammed in down there so I call the police who tell me that they can ask but they can't make hipster John stop. They advise me that I can make a citizen's arrest but I only want to do that if they let me borrow their tazer. They say no, we need to be reasonable but what is reasonable about a serial midweek hipster party-thrower? Altogether it was not a very satisfying solution. Aren't there noise ordinaces and housing departments to solve this mess? Unable to get back to sleep I google noisy neighbor and there are dozens and dozens of entries. I don't feel alone in being irritated and vexed. After the cops paid him a visit he shut the windows yelling out thank you bitch and now hours later he opened them and is clumsily strumming on his guitar.
I like many things about this apartment and area. There are annoying neighbors like Ms Cage-Your-Cats and Baby-Screamers Family but only Hipster John disturbs my sleep. Should I move? Should I make a citizens arrest? Shall I add a few more entries to the list before I mail it off to the building owners? Should I call Hipster John and ask him to please cease & desist nocturnal noises? Sigh. If only earplugs would block out all sound.
Comments